All these senses allow us to explore our surroundings. In order to make sure that we are using them to the fullest capabilities, it is advised to work on them when young.
All of us can think of quirks we may have with a sense. Whether it is the screech of the bus that sends shivers down your spine or that scratchy wool scarf that you refuse to put on even though it is below 40 outside!
I want to expose Shneur as much as possible to all unusual senses so that the world will be more of a happy environment for him. I don't want him to be like me who until today gags at the thought of putting a tomato in my mouth and cringes even when just a drop of water causes my clothes to become wet.
I noted that Shneur also takes after me in the with wincing from certain loud noises. When I am giving him a bath and I am squeezing the end of the shampoo bottle it lets out a screech which causes poor Shneur to be in tears. I actually haven't worked on it like I should as I am not sure how to proceed with that.
What I have worked on which I believe is the most essential is touch. Shneur is actually very comfortable with touch. But there are certain texture foods such as apples and pears that he has a hard time with but we are working on that.
I empty a plastic draw and fill it with different textures such as cut up paper, all his stuffed toys and I undress him and let him play in it. He loves it and besides being an enjoyable activity I think it is great for him.
I also try and put his foods on his tray and let him touch it and feed himself. I don't want him to be one of those kids who grow up not wanting to try any foreign foods and being afraid to get dirty. Why should he miss out? I try and put different textures. It is hard for me as I can't stand it when he is dirty. So I have to refrain from getting a tissue and wiping him.
No comments:
Post a Comment